We have now had our allotment for 5 years and this means our strawberries and raspberries are getting weaker and producing poorer crops. After this period of time the threat of virus hangs over them.
We renewed our raspberry canes last autumn and so it is time to renew our strawberry plants. A bright warm early spring day found us digging up and composting our old plants which had become woody. We got rid of the old weed suppressing membrane and dug over the flattened soil below. We then added lots of organic matter in the form of old growbags, our own chicken manure and composted chicken bedding. A quick rotovate and the soil looked good, full of organic matter and a great texture.
We made the wooden surround from recycled scaffold boards which fits our 3-Rs policy which we follow on our plot. Reduce – Reuse – Recycle.
To protect our strawberry plants from pests and to help effective pollination we have sown a wildflower strip close by.
Soon we had new membrane down and we spread out our new little plants spaced out to give the best yields.
We planted the little plantlets very carefully as they felt so delicate. When we had finished they looked tiny in their new raised bed. We now have 12 Honeoye and 12 Cambridge Scarlet which will hopefully keep us in strawberries for the next five years.
The little plants looked so vulnerable when we had finished but just a week later we checked on them and they were showing signs of strong bright green growth.
One reply on “Revamping our Strawberry Bed”
Yay!!! That’s awesome! This is our first year growing strawberry and we have already harvested wight perfect berries. Sure, we only have one plant in a pot, but, so far, the experiment is going very well! I hope you get tons and tons of amazing, sweet fruit!